Clark Fork Valley Hospitalis now offering Pulmonology Services out of our Plains Family Medicine office in Plains. Dale Prophet, MD, Pulmonologist, joins as a specialty care consulting provider from Kalispell.
CFVH offers Pulmonary Rehabilitation to Sanders County residents from our main hospital campus in Plains and our Thompson Falls Family Medicine office.
A multidisciplinary team approach is used to help patients with a number of chronic conditions, especially with chronic lung disease. Program goals are centered on helping the patient achieve and maintain their maximum level of independence and functioning.
There is no worse feeling than being short of breath. Our program seeks to slow down and minimize the progression of the debilitating symptoms of lung disease by combining exercise with education, breathing retraining, nutritional counseling and psychosocial support.
Individualized programs can be set up for patients of all ages who have any of a variety of lung disorders, such as COPD, asthma, chronic bronchitis, emphysema, fibrosis and others, as well as for lung transplant and lung reduction candidates.
The Pulmonary Rehabilitation Program seeks to:
- Reduce patients' shortness of breath and the anxiety it brings
- Increase exercise tolerance and ability to perform normal daily activities
- Increase patients' understanding of their particular lung disorder
- Educate patients on the proper use of respiratory medications
- Teach patients to master proper use of respiratory medications
- Teach patients to master proper breathing techniques
- Reduce the possibility of hospitalizations
- Instruct and motivate patients to start and maintain a home exercise program
- Promote self-reliance and independence
How The Pulmonary Rehabilitation Program Works
After a referral is received from a physician, patients receive an extensive interview and various tests are conducted by a respiratory therapist. Testing consists of full pulmonary function studies, an EKG and a simple physical assessment. Test results are reviewed with our Physician Director, and with the aid of the Respiratory Therapist, an exercise program is customized to meet the patient's needs.
The eight-week program meets two times per week. During these sessions, customized exercise programs are combined with group lectures from hospital personnel on a variety of topics consistent with the patient's program. Upon completion of the program, a home- or hospital-based exercise program is set up so patients can continue to maintain their progress and healthy living habits.