Southwest vegetable frittata
Makes 4 servings.
1 tablespoon canola or olive oil
½ cup red pepper, diced
¼ cup yellow onion, diced
½ small jalapeño pepper, seeded and finely minced
½ cup canned black beans, drained and rinsed
6 large eggs
Salt and pepper, to taste
¼ cup grated, reduced-fat sharp cheddar cheese
¼ avocado, thinly sliced
½ cup chunky salsa or pico de gallo
2 tablespoons cilantro, chopped, for garnish (optional)
- In large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat.
- Add red pepper, onion, jalapeño and black beans and sauté 5 minutes, being careful not to mash beans. With wooden spoon, stir vegetables and beans until evenly distributed.
- Beat eggs in bowl and pour eggs over top. Spread with spoon to evenly distribute across vegetables and beans. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cover and cook over medium heat until eggs are just set, about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Remove pan from heat and sprinkle with cheese. Cover and allow cheese to melt for just a minute. Gently slide the frittata onto plate or platter.
- Top with avocado slices and salsa. If desired, garnish with fresh cilantro.
Serving size: ¼ of recipe. Amount per serving: 220 calories, 13g total fat (3g saturated fat), 280mg cholesterol, 12g carbohydrates, 14g protein, 4g dietary fiber, 440mg sodium.