Mushrooms with apple herb stuffing
Canola oil cooking spray
20 large button mushrooms, wiped with a damp cloth
1 tablespoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
4 teaspoons canola oil, divided
3 teaspoons balsamic vinegar, divided
1 small leek, white part only, rinsed and finely diced (about 3/4 cup)
1 celery rib, minced
1 medium red apple, peeled, cored and finely diced
2 tablespoons minced flat-leaf parsley
1/4 teaspoon minced fresh oregano or pinch of dried
1/4 teaspoon minced fresh basil or pinch of dried
Salt and pepper, to taste
1/2 cup whole-wheat breadcrumbs
2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese, finely grated
2 teaspoons vegetable broth or water
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Lightly coat baking sheet with canola oil spray.
- Scoop stems out of mushroom caps with small spoon. Trim and discard bottoms of stems, finely chop stems, and set aside.
- In large bowl, mix soy sauce, 1 teaspoon canola oil and 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar. Add mushroom caps. Using your hands or large spoon, toss to coat each mushroom with soy sauce mixture and place, cavity side up, on prepared baking sheet. Set aside.
- In medium skillet over medium heat, heat 1 teaspoon canola oil and sauté mushroom stems, leek, celery, apple, parsley, oregano and basil for 7 minutes, until celery and apple are tender.
- Remove from heat and season mixture with salt and pepper, to taste. Add breadcrumbs and remaining 2 teaspoons canola oil and stir to combine.
- Transfer mixture to bowl and stir in Parmesan cheese and broth or water. Stuff each mushroom with slightly rounded tablespoon of filling. Brush remaining balsamic vinegar over tops of mushrooms.
- Bake uncovered for 25 minutes or until mushrooms are tender when pierced with a fork. Serve immediately.
Serving size: 2 stuffed mushrooms. Amount per serving: 70 calories, 2.5g total fat (0g saturated fat, 0g trans fat), 0mg cholesterol, 9g carbohydrates, 2g protein, 1g dietary fiber, 370mg sodium.